Thursday, February 19, 2009

My neices as creative inspiration

The Girls, oil on canvas, 24" x 30" x 2", 2008-9.
One of my latest works. Not completely happy with it. Doesn't do my nieces justice. Lili is the one on the right and the inspiration for the character below.
Medium: pencil, photoshop.
Lili, last year, kept asking me why I never did any paintings of her. The reason why was because she would never sit still long enough to let me sketch her or I didn't have any photos good enough to turn into paintings. So I gathered a bunch of photos of her together and made sketch after sketch until I came up with this character. Lili, besides being overwhelmingly cute (if only you could hear her talk!) and so hilarious that I like to think she might have been Lucille Ball in her last life. But she can also be shy and thoughtful and it's that side of her I wanted to capture in my design.

1 comment:

  1. its gorgeous and i love that you use this for your avatar

    ReplyDelete

ALL ANONYMOUS, JUNK COMMENTS WITH BLOG OR WEB SITE LINKS ARE AUTOMATICALLY DELETED! No one, not even I, ever see them. So, please don't waste your time.

But comments from fellow artists, friends, and anyone genuinely interested in this blog and my work are always welcome though! :-)